Happy Monday everyone! I hope you all had a great weekend. Ours was full of cousins and food and lots of fun!
Today I’m sharing an easy hack of Walmart’s $6 mirror (well $5.88 really).
I’ve been wanting a full length mirror in our room forever, but I don’t want to spend a lot of money right now so I decided I would get a cheap mirror and give it a little face lift.
I love distressed farm style pieces so I decided I would do something that fit in with that. I probably should have done colors that fit our bedroom a little better, but I would love to repaint our bedroom to a more off white because the tan just isn’t doing it for me. Anyway, back to the mirror! This is a super easy project and I was able to paint and hang it all during nap time.
Spray paint – This will be your base and will show through when you distress the mirror.
Chalk Paint – This will be your top layer and your main color
Matte Clear Coat Spray Paint – This will seal your mirror
- Tape your mirror. I put a layer of tape down and then tape the paper down so nothing could soak through on the edges.
2. Spray your first layer, the number of coats you do is dependent on how textured you want your mirror to look in the end.
3. You can see the difference between multiple coats and a thin coat here.
4. I did 2 coats of pressed metal and then did a little distressing before doing a light coat of nickel silver. Once that dried I brushed the mirror over with an offwhite chalk paint. I used a wet cloth to distress it and then sanded it down a little bit.
5. I used 3M velcro tabs to hang it against the door between my bathroom and bedroom.
Like I said earlier it doesn’t really match the color of this wall, but oh well. It matches my theme of farmstyle decor like my barnwood headboard behind me. This was such an easy project, I don’t know why I waited so long to do it! You could really make it anything you wanted and if you were willing to spend a little more they have some cute $10-$15 mirrors that are a little bigger and more intricate when it comes to the design.
This was such an easy project, I don’t know why I waited so long to do it! You could really make it anything you wanted and if you were willing to spend a little more they have some cute $10-$15 mirrors that are a little bigger and more intricate when it comes to the design.
It is an easy way to add a pop of color to a kid’s room or spruce up a guest room. And who doesn’t love having a full length mirror in their room?! Yay for finally getting to see more than my upper half when deciding on an outfit!
Hope you have a wonderful Monday!